Another 15 Awesome Whisky Facts
You may not believe some of these facts as they are so far-fetched, but they’re true!
1. The most expensive whisky in the world currently is The Macallan Fine and Rare 60-Year-Old 1926, which was auctioned off for $1.9 million in October 2019.
2. The most expensive whisky that money can buy is called ‘Isabella’s Islay’, and it costs $6.2 million. Although the crystal decanter covered in 8500 diamonds, 300 rubies, and nearly two bars of platinum are worth more than the spirit inside the decanter.
3. The record for most expensive whisky cocktail sold is a refresh of the traditional Manhattan made with a 55-year-old Macallan served at Dubai’s Skyview Bar. Costing £4,632, the posh concoction was stirred with a very special oak stick from a cask of Macallan. It was also served with ice made from the same water used to produce the single malt whisky it contains.
4. Over 20 million casks are maturing in warehouses in Scotland. That’s a lot of whisky! But it makes sense as around 42 bottles are shipped overseas each second!
5. Scotland literally has more whisky casks than people! The ratio is legitimately 4:1 (four barrels of whisky to every person living in Scotland).
6. With a value of £4.91 billion, Scotch whisky exports accounted for over 20% of all UK food and drink exports in 2019.
7. The vast majority of whisky exported from Scotland is blended, not single malt.
8. 90% of the Single Malt Whisky’s comes from Scotland.
9. India is the world’s largest whisky consuming nation, drinking almost 48% of the whisky produced worldwide each year.
10. George Washington was a sucker for whisky. He opened a whisky distillery and by 1799, he was the largest producer of whisky in the country.
11. Charles Joughin, the baker onboard the doomed Titanic, trod water for three hours before being rescued. He claimed he hadn’t succumbed to the cold due to the amount of whisky he had drunk prior to the accident, while the ship was sinking.
12. Frank Sinatra was buried with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s.
13. The co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, Bill Wilson, demanded whisky on his deathbed but was refused it.
14. George Washington wasn’t alone in loving whisky. Winston Churchill, Thomas Jefferson, Mark Twain, Hillary Clinton and Johnny Depp – they’re all partial to whisky!
15. In certain Latin American countries, people say “whisky” instead of “cheese” when posing for photographs.
Last call for Whisky Deal with Freebie
While we’re talking whisky, promo ends on October 2020 for Old Pulteney + Free Ice Ball Maker value deal. Only Old Pulteney Huddart and 15 Year Old are still available.
- Bordeaux Blanc Cheval Noir Blanc RM87.00
- Saito Junmai Daiginjo RM110.00
- Bijofu Junmai Daiginjo Mai RM119.00
- JM Cazes Domaine L'Ostal Cazes - Estibals (Minervois) RM99.00
- M. Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape "La Bernardine" RM238.00