Elegant entrees perfectly paired with J. Lohr Chardonnay
Brown Sugar and Soy Sauce Grilled Salmon
• ⅓ cup soy sauce
• ⅓ cup brown sugar
• ⅓ cup water
• salt and pepper
• orzo pasta
• olive oil
• red wine vinegar
1. In a large plastic bag, add soy sauce, brown sugar, water.
2. The salmon is also seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper. For the sides, some sort of orzo (this time we added tomatoes, basil, lemon w/ olive oil and red wine vinegar) or rice and grilled asparagus (with lemon and butter).
3. Once you create the marinade, you can let the salmon sit in the bag for as long as you want (ideally, 2 hours) until it’s time to go on the grill.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Shelby Vanhoy @prettyinthepines via J. Lohr
Hawaiian-Style Poke (Spicy Ahi)
A simple, delicious dish that takes minutes to whip up!
• 8 oz salmon and tuna fillets, preferably sashimi-grade and not previously frozen
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 2 tbsp Sriracha (adjust the amount depending on spice preference)
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp salt
• 1-2 pinches of sliced green onions
• 1-2 pinches of sesame seeds
• 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice
1. Dice fish into small cubes about ⅓ inch in size.
2. Measure and mix together mayonnaise, Sriracha, sesame oil, and salt into a bowl.
3. Add diced fish into the sauce mixture and mix until all sides of the fish are evenly covered.
4. Spoon fish over a cup of cooked rice.
5. Garnish with a pinch of sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Serves 2.
Meatless Lemon Pasta
A quick and easy crowd pleaser that comes together in under 15 minutes!
• 1 lb spaghetti or other pasta of your choosing
• 3 lemons zested and juiced
• ¼ cup olive oil
• ½ cup heavy cream
• ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
• ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• ½ cup chopped fresh basil
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water (1 tablespoon of salt for every 6 cups of water) until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally.
2. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Return drained spaghetti to the pot.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, oil, heavy cream, Parmesan, and red pepper flakes in a bowl to combine. Add ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water and whisk to combine.
4. Add lemon sauce to spaghetti in pot; toss until pasta is evenly coated with sauce. Add remaining cooking liquid, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Garnish with lemon zest, chopped basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Erin Lynch @platingsandpairings via J. Lohr
Roasted Meyer Lemon and Brown Butter Pasta
Another meatless pasta dinner that will be a hit with vegans!
• 3 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
• 3 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets
• ¼ cup olive oil, divided
• 2 Meyer lemons, sliced into thin wheels, seeds removed
• 1 (12-oz) box gluten free elbow pasta
• 2 tbsp salted butter
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ tsp crushed Aleppo pepper
• 2 tbsp heavy cream
• coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
• ¼ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
• ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
• 2-3 tbsp basil, chiffonade
1. Place a baking sheet in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F (leave the pan in the oven as it heats).
2. In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli and cauliflower florets with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on the hot baking sheet; arrange the Meyer lemon slices around the vegetables. Bake at 450°F until the vegetables are starting to brown and are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, fill a Dutch oven with water and salt the water liberally; bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid. Drain.
4. Melt the butter in the same Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook until browned and very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, garlic, and Aleppo pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream, stir to incorporate. Add the pasta, salt, and black pepper. Gently stir in the roasted vegetables and lemon wheels. Stir in ¼ to ½ cup reserved cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Top with zest, cheese, toasted pine nuts, basil leaves, and a sprinkling of Aleppo pepper if desired. Serves 4.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Meg Krulk @thismessisours via J. Lohr
Lemon Risotto with Mascarpone and peas
Yet another meatless dish for vegetarians!
• 1½ cups arborio rice
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 larger shallots peeled and finely diced
• ½ cup chardonnay wine
• 6 cups stock vegetable or chicken
• 1 pinch saffron
• ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas
• 4 heaping tbps Mascarpone cheese
• 1½ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
• 1 large lemon zested and juiced
• 3 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
• sea salt to taste
1. Bring the broth and saffron to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and keep the broth warm over the low heat.
2. In a large skillet over medium low flame add in the olive oil and shallots, sautée together until translucent.
3. Stir in the risotto rice and toss to coat in the oils. Toast for a minute or so then hit it with the white wine. Once the wine has been almost fully absorbed start adding in the stock a ladleful at a time while maintaining a constant gentle simmer. Make sure to stir well every time you add more stock and never let the rice dry out completely before adding more liquid.
4. Before you add your last ladle of stock, add in the fresh peas and let them cook for the last few minutes. Should take about 20-25 minutes.
5. Turn off heat, scoop out the Mascarpone cheese, grate Parmesan cheese and zest and juice of the lemon. Mix well until fully combined. Add in the fresh chives.
6. Serve with a little extra Parmesan cheese. Serves 4.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Lena Gladstone @lenaskitchenblog via J. Lohr
Shop for J. Lohr Riverstone Chardonnay at aeclub.com.my
- Pio Cesare Barolo DOCG RM350.00
- Bijofu Junmai Daiginjo Mai RM119.00
- Saito Junmai Daiginjo - 72cl RM110.00
- Joseph Drouhin Nuits Saint Georges RM357.00
- JM Cazes Domaine L'Ostal Cazes - Estibals (Minervois) RM99.00